THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Feb 22, 2012

Blue Mountain Wildlife Internship

I have started to apply at a place called Blue Mountain Wildlife. I learned about it at Radcon, which I honestly think is strange: In the midst of zombies, Magic the Gathering, hardcore drug and alcohol abusers, and shopping sprees, there was an elderly woman with a kestrel on her hand and larger birds of prey behind her on a stage.

When Brumeister and I came into the room, tons of people were standing in front of the stage to take pictures of the two falcons, two owls and a red-tailed hawk. Soon after, the woman gave a presentation: the organization was trying to raise $1 million in order to build a wildlife hospital in Pendelton, Oregon. They help mostly birds of prey when they meet with unfortunate events, such as: falling out of their nest, being hit by a car, being shot at, being poisoned by eating animals who were shot with lead bullets. They go through rehabilitation with minimal human contact in order to be released into the wild without an abnormal connection with a human, or dependency on humans for food.

I really want this internship. I want to work with animals, in some way, and I want the experience in order to choose what I want to do. The only requirement is to be 18+, but I have gone to a veterinarian technician class my junior year of highschool. I did a job shadow at a vet. I'm hoping that will be enough to be favorable to me. I've handled bigger pet birds before and we did a whole section of taking care of pet birds in the class. So I know more than the average person, but it's all about pet birds. It will be interesting to see the difference between domestic birds and wild birds, and how to take care of them.

I was going to post pictures from their website, but there is no way to copy the picture link or save it to my laptop. Oh well.

Wish me luck!

0 comments: