THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Feb 9, 2012

Radcon 6A details

Today I was going to post links to tutorials that I liked and would add to outfits, but the site I was going to seems to be having technical problems. Oh well, I guess I can talk about Radcon, what it is, and what happens there.

A general description of Radcon would say it is a sci-fi/fantasy convention, and that there are real authors there to talk to and run writing workshops. There is SO much more to Radcon than that, however.

In highschool, I would write a short story and send it in beforehand so that I could get in for free. If I won, which was not something I ever tried to do, I would win money, a notebook made from recycled goods, and/or time set aside with an author for a personal review of my story and get ideas to make it better. People who sent in stories could also bring a "guardian" in for free; in my case, that was my boyfriend. Who could deny a free badge?

The usual price for Radcon, at the door, is $35. If you pre-register, it is only $30 and your badge is pre-printed. You have to have your badge on you at all times, because it is proof that you paid to get in. You get to choose a "badge name", which is whatever you want. This year, I am RainyKat. I think. This year I actually paid. But on to the good stuff.

Radcon is hosted in a Red Lion Inn, for 3 days. In one wing of the hotel, there are several dealers. They rent hotel rooms and that is their temporary "shop". You can buy custom made fangs (literally made on your teeth right there), swords, leather tricorner pirate hats, whips, energy drinks, belly dancing accessories, books, cards, dice bags, elf ears, horns, cloaks, clothing, corsets, hats, fox tails/pelts, fur-lined leather "handcuffs" (I will post a picture of mine), masks, plenty of dragons, gemstones, glow sticks and accessories, skull candles, Celtic STUFF, games, jewelry of every sort, collectibles, incense, and tons more.

The dealers are set up by 12 on Friday. Most people go to pick up their badge long before, there are long lines by 10 A.M. Some people bring their dogs, some people bring their dogs dressed up as dragons. During the day outfits must be more family friendly, as there ARE children about for some reason, however at night many girls seem to take their pants off. Plus their shirts transform into fishnets. There is a rave both nights, but all the officials call it a "dance"...

When you get your badge, you get a pamphlet telling you when and where there are workshops; last year I went to one that taught you how to make chainmaille. The guy teaching liked to make armor, while I prefer to make jewelry with chainmaille. This year I plan to go to more; I have found that the workshops was where you get free stuff. The past two years I have had absolutely no money, but this year I have more. Ish. More than I had before, at least. I was planning on buying a Tricorner, but now I think I will wait until the Ren Fair. The same dealer will set up shop there, but there are more dealers at Radcon than the Ren Fair that I would like to buy stuff from. So, bring less money, buy more stuff.

There are tons and tons of more stuff going on, like "Room Parties" and people ODing on Cocaine, (an energy drink, NOT the drug!) which I hope will be there this year, but I am sure I have just about talked your ears off with all this junk about Radcon.

Radcon is next weekend! I will post pictures which will certainly be more eye catching than a solid wall of text. Until next time!

0 comments: